2 May 2015
Toronto’s Old City Hall located at the corner of Queen and Bay Streets is an important landmark that was preserved for its history and impressive architecture. Taking almost two decades to plan and complete, it was officially opened in September 1899 by then-Mayor John Shaw. The Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada declared it as a National Historic Site in 1989.
The Old City Hall became a courthouse for the Ontario government when Toronto’s New City Hall across Bay Street and Nathan Philips Square opened in September 1965.
Also one of Toronto’s most famous landmarks, the New City Hall building design was chosen through an international competition. In 1991, it was designated as a property of heritage significance under the Ontario Heritage Act. The building has also been recognized internationally by DOCOMOMO (Documentation and Conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the Modern Movement) Canada.
* * *