Raffles and Fairmont Makati, Makati City
21 January 2014
President Benigno S. Aquino III graced the People of the Year Awards Night 2014 where he bestowed the Lifetime Achievement Award to Socorro ‘Nanay Coring’ Ramos, the 90 year-old founder of National Book Store.
The occasion was held at Raffles and Fairmont in Makati City and had the theme “Fourteen Glorious Years of Exceptional People”.
In his speech, President Aquino congratulated the 14 “People of the Year” and acknowledged their exemplary work in their chosen fields.
“Whether in business, media and entertainment, medicine or the many other sectors represented here today, our awardees for 2014 have indeed accomplished so much, and in doing so, have brought honor to the Philippines,” the President said.
He also acknowledged the resident ambassadors of the different countries that came to the aid of the Philippines in the aftermath of super typhoon Yolanda.
“But in true People Asia fashion, I see that we have also broken a little from tradition because we are not only joined by this year’s batch of awardees, but also by a particular group of people I have met with before. Here, we have the ambassadors and heads of mission who represent countries that have proven to be friends of the Filipino people – countries who have shown their support and solidarity with the Philippines in the wake of recent calamities. I ask you to join me in thanking them once more tonight. Excellencies, may I ask you to receive the applause – the gratitude and the friendship of our country,” President Aquino added.
Since 2004, the “People of the Year” has been recognizing outstanding individuals in business, entertainment and in various advocacies. This year’s 14 awardees are:
• Megan Young (2013 Miss World)
• Nora Aunor (Superstar)
• Helen Yuchengco Dee (chair, Rizal Banking Commercial Corp.)
• Chot Reyes (five-time PBA “Coach of the Year”)
• Brillante Mendoza (critically acclaimed film director)
• Coco Martin (“Prince of Indie”)
• Edgar Chua (country chair, Shell Philippines and MAP Management Man of the Year)
• Cory Vidanes (channel head, ABS-CBN)
• Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla
• Kuh Ledesma (pop diva)
• Criselda Lontok (fashion designer)
• Dr. Steve Mark Gan (pioneering prosthodontist)
• Fr. Gerard Deveza (education advocate)
• Thomas Meyer (Australian hotelier, Raffles and Fairmont Hotels)