14 September 2014
The Luxor Obelisk in Place de la Concorde, the largest public square in Paris, is one the famous sites in the city. The 23-meter (75 ft) high Egyptian obelisk made from yellow granite arrived in Paris on December 21, 1833 and was later placed in the center of the square by King Louis-Philippe of France.
It is decorated with hieroglyphs as a tribute to the reign of King Ramses II. The Obelisk, also referred to as Cleopatra’s needle, was a gift from the Viceroy of Egypt and has become a symbol of peace, ending the revolution.
* * *