13 September 2014
The place of the most famous and historic Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris at Île de la Cité is the religious center of the city. Its construction began in 1163 by Bishop Maurice de Sully and was only completed in 1345.
The cathedral dedicated to Saint Stephen is known for its impressive Gothic architecture. The frontal west facade features three wide portals and above the portals is the Gallery of Kings – 28 statues of Judean Kings. Higher up are the famous gargoyles and grotesques with 15-meter wide flying buttresses at the east side of the building.
During the Revolution, major structures of the cathedral suffered damages and most of its interiors was removed or demolished. It went several reconstruction, remodeling and restoration over the centuries to help preserve its historic architecture.