24 October 2013
President Benigno S. Aquino III inspected several quake damaged buildings and houses in Sagbayan municipality and led the relief goods distribution to displaced families seeking refuge in wide open spaces outside the broken down Sagbayan Municipal Building.
In his statement, President Aquino assured the town’s people that the government, in partnership with the local government units, are keen to bring back normalcy in quake affected towns in Bohol. He said that he had already directed the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the immediate repair of the four main bridges that had been destroyed by the quake on or before November 20, adding that the situation offers opportunity for the DPWH to improve the city’s infrastructures.
The President also sought the help of the local government together with the city’s engineers to perform house inspection in order to ensure that quake evacuees are safe once they return to their houses. President Aquino said that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is seeking means to help alleviate the current situations of quake victims, part of which is to increase rice rations from 2 kgs to 20 kgs that can sustain them for two weeks and flexible house loans that they can apply amounting to P10,000.
President Aquino urged the town’s people to work hand in hand with the government for the speedy recovery of the province.
“Huwag ho kayong mag-alala may kakayanan ang gobyerno niyo na tugunan ang pangangailangan ninyo at nandito po, at iyon ang pakay talaga para asikasuhin kayo. So magtulungan po tayo dito malalaktawan din natin ang pagsubok na ito at kakayanin natin ito,” he said.
Sagbayan is one of the municipalities severely hit by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that shook the Central Visayas on October 14. Affected families by the killer quake has reached 5,176 (25,691 individuals) from 24 affected barangays. Reports show that 1,138 houses have been destroyed and 2,456 were partially damaged.
* * *