23 June 2014
A castle built at the center of a city as opposed to the hilltop and mountain castles, Hiroshima was referred to as the castle town. It was both the physical and economical center of the city built in 1589 by the powerful feudal lord Mori Terumoto, one of Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s council of “Five Great Elders.”
In 1871, the castle became the military facility, where the Imperial General Headquarters came to be established during the Sino-Japanese war of 1894-95.
On August 6th 1945 at 8:15 am, the Hiroshima castle was completely destroyed by the atomic bomb blast and was later on reconstructed, retaining its old appearance, in 1958.
The five-storey building is now used to exhibit historical artifacts.