Moscow, Russian Federation
May 21, 2017
Christ the Saviour Church is one of Moscow’s attractions that can be viewed from the bridge over the Moscow River. Located just a few blocks from the Kremlin, the original church was erected during the 19th century where it took 40 years to build.
In 1931, by order of the Soviet leadership under Joseph Stalin, the church was destroyed. Rebuilding commenced in 1937 but was suspended due to the invasion of the Nazi Germany during World War II.
It has an overall height of 103 metres (338 feet) and is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
* * *