21 June 2014
The Atomic Bomb Dome, formerly known as the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall before the bombing of the city, was the only structure left standing within the 2-kilometer radius of the hypocenter after a nuclear bomb, equivalent to 16,000 tons of TNT, exploded over Hiroshima, Japan on 6 August 1945.
Referred to as the “Little Boy,” the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima exploded 600 meters right above its structure, which spared it from the explosive force released by the bomb. Other structures within the hypocentre had been obliterated in an instant.
The Atomic Bomb Dome has been registered in the UNESCO World Heritage list in December 1996 as a symbol of nuclear abolition and the vow of the human race to pursue peace.
* * *