Haw Phra Kaew, Vientiane, Lao PDR
2 November 2012
One of the oldest temples in Vientiane built in 1565 by King Setthathirath as a place to hold the Emerald Buddha which is now on display at Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok. The temple was destroyed several times during the wars with neighboring Siam, but French colonizers rebuilt the current structure in 1920 using a Bangkok-rococo style. The inside of the temple has since been converted into a Buddhist and Laotian history museum with a few signs in French but none in English.