Philippine Military Academy
Fort del Pilar, Baguio City
17 March 2013
President Benigno S. Aquino III led the 108th Commencement Exercises of the 124-member strong Philippine Military Academy “Pudang Kalis” Class of 2013 in Baguio City.
In his speech, President Aquino told the newly-commissioned officers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines that this is the moment to give back wholeheartedly their time and efforts to their fellowmen, as they reciprocate the sacrifices of the people and their loved ones gave to them to achieve success.
“Kolektibong narating ng sambayanan ang tagumpay ninyong ito; umaasa akong sa kolektibo rin ang tuon ng bawat kilos ninyo,” he said.
The Commander-in-Chief also shared some inspiring stories among its topnotchers, like the struggles and life-changing sacrifices of class valedictorian 2Lt. Jestony Lanaja and cancer survivor 2Lt. Prolen Bonacua from Valenzuela City who runs third on the list.
“Pudang Kalis” is the abbreviated form of Puso’t Dangal ng Kawal ng Lahing Nagkakaisa (Soldiers with Heart and Honor, Unified in Strength). It is derived from a Muslim term meaning “sacred sword,” which is passed by a Muslim clan from generation to generation. The class used the name for the belief that they are like a sword whose blade will never perish for generations.
Other topnotchers of the “Pudang Kalis” Class of 2013 included:
– Top 2: Ens. Maryam Balais, La Trinidad, Benguet
– Top 4: Ens. Jesse Saludo – Gen. Mariano Alvarez, Cavite
– Top 5: 2Lt. Joselyn Advincula – Tagaytay City
– Top 6: 2Lt. Leode John Tulang – Agusan Del Sur
– Top 7: 2Lt. Mark Ferdinand Villamin – Batangas
– Top 8: Ens. Vanessa Factor – Antipolo City
– Top 9: Ens. Jhed Dumocloy – Cagayan
– Top 10: 2Lt. Maila Maniscan – South Cotabato
* * *